Thursday 14 March 2013

French Contrast

Now we're in March 2013 and I'm using a programme that's much much more fun!

My current goals are as follows:
Increase power and strength in legs (for jumping)
Increase upper body pulling power (for muscle-ups)
Acquire Aesthetics (don't judge me!)


I'm using a French contrast method for jumping power and I've added 5kg to my back squat in just 2 weeks!

This method is essentially 4 exercises performed consecutively, followed by a 2-3 minute rest, then repeat for 3 sets.
The exercises start with 3 reps of a heavy load, then 5 reps of minimal load, 3 reps of a moderate load and lastly 5 reps of an assisted exercise (accelerated eccentric)

For leg strength and jumping power I'm doing the following:
3 reps - 105kg Back Squat
5 reps - tuck jump
3 reps - 32kg kettlebell squat jump
5 reps - band assisted jump

I then rest and repeat this 'circuit' 3 times.

After the French Contrast (above) I'm performing 4 sets of 3 high pull ups (chest over bar) as fast and powerful as I can manage.
Then 3x 10reps bent over row with 32kg (2x 16kg kettlebells)
Lastly I barbell curl 35kg for 3 sets of 6reps.

I'm performing this workout twice per week.
In the first 2 weeks of this I have noticed significant increase in leg strength and hip mobility.


Once per week I've adding in an extra workout that's aimed more at upper body strength / maintenance and some glute / posterior chain exercises:

Ring Muscle Up - 4 sets of 4reps
35kg barbell curl - 4 sets of 5reps
press up - 4 sets of 10reps
70kg bench press - 3 sets of 6 reps
110kg deadlift - 3 sets of 6 reps
20kg Kettlebell swing with band resistance - 3 sets of 6 reps


I'll keep you posted on how this programme works out of the next few weeks....


Great article on contrast training:
http://www.musclemag.com/muscle-building/high-contrast-for-huge-gains/

Article on French Contrast method with regard to American Football:
http://www.stack.com/2012/04/04/build-power-for-football-with-french-contrast-workouts/

No comments: